My blog on the Internet

My name is Vinh Ngoc Khuc (Khúc Ngọc Vinh in Vietnamese). I was a student at Computer Science Department of Moscow State University and now a graduate student at Computer Science and Engineering Department of The Ohio State University -- Columbus. I created this blog to record my memory and improve my English ;)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Thursday, July 28, 2005

How did I add scroll functionality for my mouse?

Again about my Solaris 10 x86, this time is about my mouse, an optical Logitech mouse. I can't scroll webpages with it!
I've configured it by adding package I found by searching google. But it didn't help. My mouse still can't scroll webpages!
Finally, I recognized that Solaris 10 x86 is using XSun by default, but it also has Xorg. Then I decided to switch to Xorg, which to me it supports better devices. ( At least than XSun :) )
I did these following steps:
#kdmconfig //choose Xorg
#/usr/bin/X11/Xorg -configure //configure it, then you'll have a sample configuration file for Xorg in your $HOME dir
and then edit file $HOME/xorg.conf.new, and what I did was change "InputDevice" Section :
----xorg.conf.new-----
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/kdmouse"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection
----xorg.conf.new-----
You can test your new configuration file to sure it can run smoothly with:
#/usr/bin/X11/X -xf86config $HOME/xorg.conf.new
Final test is copy it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
#cp $HOME/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Hope this helps somebody.
Please comment this blog if something is wrong!

1 Comments:

Blogger Phong Dam said...

Vinh, you even can config forward and backward if your logitech mouse has that function. Check my page, i have reference for that

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home